Villagers list 147 dead in Afghan strike

Villagers list 147 dead in Afghan strike

Sharafuddin Sharafyar
Reuters North American News Service

May 08, 2009 05:39 EST

KABUL, May 8 (Reuters) – Residents of two villages hit earlier this week by U.S. air strikes have prepared lists with the names of 147 people killed in the attacks, the deputy governor of the province where the strikes took place said.

Farah Province deputy governor Yunus Rasooli told Reuters residents of the village of Geraani had provided 90 names and residents of neighbouring Ganj Abad village another 57. The two villages were struck by U.S. warplanes during a battle in another nearby village on Monday and Tuesday.

Rasooli said the lists included eight school children whose names were provided by the Ministry of Education.

Abdul Basir Khairkhah, a member of the provincial government’s investigating team, confirmed that the villagers’ lists contained 147 names. He said he had seen two mass graves and more than 40 individual graves in the two villages.

Full Article

Share Button

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

15,129 Spam Comments Blocked so far by Spam Free Wordpress

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>